Monday, April 18, 2011

Happy Passover! My Famous Pickled Turkey Recipe!

I cannot believe that it is time again for the holidays!  What a year this has been!  In keeping with past years, I am making a traditional Passover meal for friends and family. 

Yes - I can cook!  Just ask my husband!  One of my most requested meals is Pickled Turkey.  Yes - I know - sounds gross.  Take it from me ( and mom) - it tastes delicious.

I found it here and  it is reprinted here for your amusement:



Ingredients


3 1/2-4 lbs corned turkey (pickled turkey roast)
1 cup ketchup
1/2-3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Directions

1) Leaving the strings on, place the pickled turkey roast in clean water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame to low and cook for one hour.

2) Pour off all the water and rinse the roast well.

3) Refill the pot with clean water and cook again, this time for several hours until the roast is very tender (the roast should be nearly falling apart when you poke at it with a fork).

4) Pour off all the water and rinse again.

5) Now combine remaining ingredients in a pot and slowly heat up. When sauce is smooth add turkey roast, coating well on all sides.

6) Serve hot and enjoy!

I find my pickled turkey in my local kosher grocery store, so I suggest that is where you can find it as well.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!!


No comments: