Friday, April 24, 2009

I have been meaning to post this recipe since the holidays, and since in the midst of cleaning I just found it again, it seemed like a sign for it finally to make onto " Its Really Only a Purple World".

In my family, we celebrate Passover. While shopping for items to feed twelve guests, at the last minute I grabbed a turkey breast to make in addition to my fifty dollar brisket. When I got home and started unpacking the groceries, I realized that I had bought a " Pickled Turkey Breast."

Okay....what in the name of all that is holy and good is a pickled turkey breast! And more importantly, what was I going to do with it

I scoured the looking for recipes and came across just one. Found on www.recipezaarcom, it Recipe # 327237. I reprint it here for your amusement:


Ingredients
3 1/2-4 lbs corned turkey (pickled turkey roast)
1 cup ketchup
1/2-3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Directions
1) Leaving the strings on, place the pickled turkey roast in clean water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame to low and cook for one hour.
2) Pour off all the water and rinse the roast well.
3) Refill the pot with clean water and cook again, this time for several hours until the roast is very tender (the roast should be nearly falling apart when you poke at it with a fork).
4) Pour off all the water and rinse again.
5) Now combine remaining ingredients in a pot and slowly heat up. When sauce is smooth add turkey roast, coating well on all sides.
6) Serve hot and enjoy!

And I must be honest..it came out FANTASTIC!

It has now become my most requested dish.

It figures, huh


6 comments:

Missy B. said...

Hi Wendy: Thanks for visiting my page and participating in my giveaway! Good luck to you!

p.s. I see that you live in NY...I was born and raised in Westchester County. :)

Veronica Lee said...

Hi, I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.

Sandi said...

It doesn't sound half bad!

Sandi said...

Have you seen that you won my giveaway?? haha :) They should have contacted you by e-mail. Congrats!

~Kim~ said...

I've never heard of pickled turkey breast! Interesting! I'm sure you'll be serving that every year now! :)

Becca said...

We always do brisket, but I have never heard of pickled turkey breast. We got lucky this year and a caterer friend ordered us brisket for something like $5 a pound...it was delicious! :)